Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Opposites Attract?

It’s is so strange how we judge people or in particular couples by their outward appearance!

There are so many couples that I come across in my daily life... a few in movies, some on the streets and some others in coffee shops... For many at times I have stopped to ask myself what is it that makes those two people in that movie, street or coffee shop a couple? In my eyes the girl looks annoying, boy looks desperate, girl looks ugly, boy is shy and still he or she claims to be in love!

Couples in movies confuse me... I always wonder if there are real couples like those depicted in movies. For instance the couple in ‘500 years of summer’; I thought summer was not worth her boy friend, Tom. She is so annoying and talks arbit stuff and sticks her views and day dreams. In spite of all this Tom is totally in love with her.

It is vague how Florentino Ariza continued to love Fermina Daza in ‘Love in the time of cholera’ in spite of her leaving him to get married to a guy of her father’s choice

I know a couple who has survived for six years now without meeting each other in spite of being in the same city!

All this reminds me of my vague habit of sitting in coffee shops and watching people... surely not to an extent to make them uncomfortable! I watch them; think about their homes, relations, qualifications, commitments...and once I noticed myself wondering how an obese lady was in love with a physically fit, handsome guy who was sitting adjacent to me in a CCD in Mumbai. I could not stop thinking about them and I asked my friend, who was happily sipping her electric blue drink! She thought of it for a second and suggested that it could be because the girl is really rich and the boy is after it!!! I dint argue though I dint agree... I still have that question in me!!!

From what I have come across over the past few years of my life I can say real couples are made in heaven! For no applauding reason for human eyes, a guy could love a girl and vice-versa. There is definitely a proven justification behind the saying “opposites attract”!

“How can I get along with that person? He is just not like me!” How wrong is this statement? If “Opposites attract” is true!!!

I really appreciate people who respect a man and a woman in a relationship for what they are and not make comments like...” Oh God! How can that guy fall in love with such an ugly girl? “Or “Goodness what the hell was going on in that girls mind when she fell in love with that horrible looking guy?” or “ the couple looks like a black and white film” or “ one and zero is the best way to describe them”

There is no rhyme or reason for 2 people to fall in love! For the same reason there are good looking couples, happy couples, couples with a good chemistry etc...

I have promised myself to never again comment on other people for their humble circumstances that make them less privileged than I am!

11 comments:

  1. though I m most inappropriate person to comment on being in love,,,but from my personal observation there is no reason to fall in love,,, one cant fall in or out of love as and when he/she wishes to...its like "Heart has its reason that reason knows nothing of"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt my agreement for all the points jotted down!
    We should never comment on the chemistry between any couple. They are just made
    for each other :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent Blog Uma...A nice read...Ur blog justifes the thought "Love is Blind"...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. nithin renji panickerMarch 25, 2010 at 3:43 AM

    what observations dear....!! but do investigate a bit more when making statements.. Cant wait for your next post.!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just realized that the couple who I thought survived for 6 years without meeting up actually survived for 7 years!

    Even better I guess :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. freak!

    and opposites do not attract! What do they talk about? You need to have lots in common to enjoy each other's company.

    Anyways, try and understand why an ugly guy gets a good looking chick, i have an interesting concept :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ashwin,

    I'd like to know more about the 'interesting concept'

    I have an open ended question, "“How can I get along with that person? He is just not like me!” How wrong is this statement? If “Opposites attract” is true!!!"

    If everything is common between 2 people the end result is competition!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Uma

    Nishant sent the link of your blog.... i must say i really liked this post of yours... enjoyed reading it... I am also an active blogger and love following good ones from others... keep up the good work... below is the link to my blog...

    http://reincarnationofmydreams.blogspot.com/2010/01/reminiscence.html

    Regards
    Lipi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Lipi,

    Thanks a lot for the encouragement...

    Uma

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey uma..i jst saw dis one.....gud one...

    ReplyDelete