Sunday, March 28, 2010

Are "we" the "we" on facebook?

We have all become so addicted to Facebook that we fail to notice that it is controlling over lives...to an extend that we suffer from an identity crisis!

Recently, I noticed how we move around with a camera, looking for moments fit to take a picture that will make our lives look interesting and make us look beautiful! Then the first thing we do after reaching home is look through the pictures a hundred times to select the ones in which we look gorgeous and our life looks exciting! It is very rare that we get a balance of both and then we decide to put pictures in which we look nice even if it is not an interesting picture.... AND THEN UPLOAD IT ON FACEBOOK... Check every second after that to see if anyone has commented on it!

So now we have a profile in which we look beautiful ... all prim and proper! But in reality are we what our Facebook profile depicts us to be?
We are not only putting ourselves in to an identity crisis but also missing out on a lot in life...

Recently I went to a beach to spend an evening with two of my friends and we had a nice time.... POSING for pictures!!! At almost every moment at least one of us was clicking pictures!!! Then we spend a few minutes looking for a person who could click a picture with all three of us!!! It was really good fun but it would have been better if we dint have to worry about our looks...

In another instant, I was scanning through a folder of pictures from my friend’s trip to Rishikesh for white water rafting and I realized that each and every picture was suitable to be uploaded as a profile picture in Facebook! There wasn’t a single picture which had an underlying story or a picture with dirty clothes and ruffled hair! They claim they had a wonderful time during the trip but the pictures were not speaking for them!

It is really a sad state...

Take wildest of wild pictures and capture the actual essence of your life and send it to people close to you and maintain your identity! Capture natural moments so you’ll have a hundred things to tell your folks a couple of years later!
Be yourself and enjoy every moment... Let Facebook and photo clicks not control you life!

P.S: I am not sure if this is the case with men! And I love Facebook and I am a very active user 

7 comments:

  1. Its everywhere,,, the madness of having that perfect shot is universal,, my recent status message talked abt same,,, (please find below for reference...:P)

    the world as I use to know has changed,, people now dont talk abt who r present in the pics,, how much they enjoyed the moments,,, but rather camera zoom and some crappy Photoshop technique,,, tricks are taking precedence over pure emotions,, r we going in right direction,,, is it the start of mechanization of things??? I m just thinking aloud,,, and I wish to be wronged...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice One Uma!!! Its true FB and other social networking sites somewhat control our life nowadays...There has to be a balance... I Love Facebook and a complete addict... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Initially we all joined facebook to keep in touch with friends... literally a social networking site! I've added people I rarely know as my friends and now I can't be myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nithin renji panickerMarch 29, 2010 at 8:43 AM

    good observations..and you got a point there.But posing good for a picture or trying to look good isn't wrong..I do it.Just that it shouldn't turn out to be an obsession.One shouldn't pose for a photograph just to look good. I know people on Facebook who don't upload photographs at all..Again,its all subjective. It makes some feel good when others comment on their photographs.. keep writing..and observing.Waiting for your next post.......

    ReplyDelete
  5. friend's rafting pics in rishikesh now..any chance its me!?!?!?!?!?hmm but ya i agree...our lives revolve around fb these days..always taking pics and posting them.i got tired of that in fact recently..but still...who is thisfriend you are talking about?!?!?!!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chilax Shreya! Nothing personnel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a concept in place...

    ReplyDelete