Friday, July 1, 2011

Mohan Kuruvilla – From the State of Bihar

I always thought I was a born marketer just because I was successful in persuasion and selling but now I am getting a feeling that whatever I sold till now was just by chance...by the grace a of God! Marketing is not what I thought... It is no easy job which anyone can do!
Going into my 4th trimester in Rajagiri Business School, I was blessed by intuition and took B2B as an elective course without knowing who Prof. Mohan Kuruvilla was. It was a mere coincidence as I dint even know what B2B is to say that I chose the paper because I liked the topic! Now all I have to say is... It’s not every day that you come across such powerful words!
Does all literature wonders happen on Sunday’s in Rajagiri? Vijay Menon Sir also made his entry on a Sunday!!!
I was home for three days and laziness had already crept in me while I was travelling in a transport bus from Kottayam to Kochi where I happened to chat with my senior who gave me a brief idea about what B2B classes are going to be like! I believe she dint want to overdo her excitement so I could feel it for myself. The weak self I am was overloaded with information on how hectic the next few days are going to be and how I should sleep and eat well to keep myself up and moving for the next few days. I was so not in a mood to start the B2B classes as I was fed up of the hectic schedules with an overload of academic work. With such a dejected lethargic mood I managed to drag myself to the B2B class that started at 11am on Sunday 26th June, 2011 with a single prayer to God, requesting for my survival as I knew that 15 hours were going to be completed in 3 days!
Post 11 am, Sunday, was a plethora of live situations! Case studies are dead and buried and it becomes interesting only when they are brought alive through role plays is what the legend said. Can you believe a Man who is loaded with wisdom, enriched with information and experience acting out every case study in a class of 30 young students? Well he did!!! We, all my friends in the B2B class lived the life of a marketer in those 15 hours spread across the 3 days. I can’t remember an instance where I was distracted or where I was trying to fight sleep like I mostly do.
Is it his base voice, with which he spoke? or was it the voice modulation? He dint not stammer once ... He spoke on behalf of the receptionist Sheela, the watchman Shyamsundar, Purchase manager Yadav, R&D manager, Marketing manager and the CEO like in real life. I could even picturize myself walking up the stairs to meet the chief chef to sell edible oil. Sales and marketing became a reality in life! The ‘corporate yoga’ and everything what ‘Kotler said’ became a reality.
Prof. Mohan Kuruvilla has a very different view point towards education and the education system. We were very happy to know that he doesn’t conduct midterm exams but little did we know about the quizzes. Everything in his class was application driven. There was no mugging up or writing that had to be done. He spend the first few hours touching up on or basics, giving us better clarity on a few topics that we thought we knew... he told us how health was most important and marks were least important. He gave us the freedom to go out of classes whenever we wanted a break and promised to give us 10 minutes break every 50 minutes. He also advised us to “sleep when it comes as we don’t know when it will come next”. The beauty of his teaching was that every concept in B2B marketing was backed by a real life example enacted through a role play. 18 years with the Tata group gave him enough experience to talk about every situation that could arise in B2B marketing. He encouraged us to speak our views in class. If we dint know what to answer to encouraged us to try!
Eagerly waiting for the next 15 hours of B2B marketing....

4 comments:

  1. You write really well. Nice clarity and expression of thought. And ya Prof Kuruvilla was indeed different from the rest. I too enjoyed this teaching method and style. He made sure that everyone contributed in the pedagogy. Hope our teachers can take a cue from his class

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah..gud post.....it was one of the best classes i ever had

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uma my jaan..

    Mohan Kuruvilla sir, i have no words, his expressions were priceless and one of the best classes i have ever attended, all thanks to RBS.. his receptionist nancy, sheela... and kotler has told in his book and when something doesnt work out, yeh tho kotler ne nahi bathaya tha.. I cherish every moment of it.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes....his classes is never just lyk dat..he is a living legend..!!
    His patented sentences lyk.."PUCHIYE SIR...ESE HI PUCH LIJIYE" AND "THERE WAS A COMPANY HUL ABHI BHI HAI SIR" AND "JOOTA BHIGO KE MARIYE SIR JOR SE LAGEGA" driven us crazy
    We r very lucky to hav faculty lyk KURUVILLA SIR...
    HATS OFF...!!1

    ReplyDelete